Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Happy New Year!!

And so comes the end of yet another year...I feel like I woke up 2 months ago and it was just June...and now it's the end of 2008!! WOW!!

I think at some point in our lives, we all strive to do something perfectly, the first time you do it. For me, it's all about bread.

My wonderful hubby got me a gorgeous KitchenAid mixer for Christmas. It's all mighty and powerful...and I bow to it...nah...just kidding. IT would like to think it's THAT powerful...but really...it's not. Anyways, I have been reading online about different recipes for bread. I found a really simple recipe...which called for mixing everything together in the kitchenaid bowl...including the yeast and water...pretty much, dump it in...and mix it up. So, that is just what I did. It said to let it mix until the dough seperates from the bowl edge..done...and then put a clean dish cloth over it and let it rise about 25 minutes....done. And it worked!! It rose appropriately, so I then mashed it down, and put it into a greased pan and then put 6 "rolls" into the big muffin tin. Our oven has a proofer on it, so I put the said items in the oven on proof for about 20 minutes...and sure enough...they rose again.

WOW!! I MUST BE A PRO AT BREAD MAKING!!! So I labor on ahead with the next step which is the baking...I simply turned the oven onto 400 and since the goods were already in the oven, I set the timer for 30 minutes and WHAA LAA!!! Bread and Rolls!!

I then take them out of the oven and kind of tap on the top...it's nice and brown...so, it goes tap, tap, tap. Hmmmm....sounds a little crunchy on top, but that's ok. I then take one of the rolls out, and cut into it....OWWW!!!! IT'S DANG HOT!!! Well duh, you DID just pull it out of the oven!! I then take a tiny taste of the roll...ummm...hmmm...

Arn't they SUPPOSED to have SOME KIND OF FLAVOR?? Like the yummy yeast flavor or shouldn't they taste bready or something??? These are SOOOOO bland....UGH!!! These are DEFINATELY NOT a yummy dinner roll. In fact, if we still had snow, I would make the suggestion to the kids that they could go play hockey with these rolls.

Well, what can I say?? Martha Stewart I am NOT!! Back to the drawing board...

Happy New Year everyone!!! Hugs, Andrea

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sis... that made me laugh so hard! I'm so glad that no one was here to see me as I read it at work. I LOVE YOUR WRITING AND I LOVE YOU...AND THE FAMILY TOO!
HAPPY 2009!!!

Anonymous said...

I too have the kitchen aide mixer. Was lucky enough to get one last year for Christmas. Oh I love love love it. I worship it daily also! Enjoy!