Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Martha...I could be on your heels!!

The kids finally went back to school today...when the snow started on Sunday evening...I thought for sure we were in for another week of nasty, stay indoors, type weather. Thankfully, when we woke up on Monday morning, the snow was completely gone. The kids didn't have school on Monday since it was a teacher inservice day...so today, it was back to the old grind. WHEW!!

Since I was home alone today, for the first time in a long time...I decided to bake. And believe it or not...I didn't do half bad!!

I started with chocolate chip cookies...I know...I know...it's a pretty easy feat...right? Well, it's been a while since I have made cookies because Ashlyn is always the one in the household to bake. So I researched some recipes for chocolate chip cookies....and went about my task. And oh baby!! They turned out so good. A little crispy on the outside and full of dark chocolate goodness. OH YEAH!!

I then started a batch of homemade meatballs. I actually ground my own meat ( no, I did not raise and slaughter the beef!!) so there wasn't hardly any fat at all. *I bought a HUGE cut of meat from Cash and Carry...and we will have at least 10 meals out of it!! OK...back to the meatballs...I put spinach in them...and baked them and put them with spaghetti...oh goodness...it was delicious!!

After I put the meatballs in the oven to bake, I decided to try my hand at another bread batch. I used a different recipe...and....yup...it worked. The bread turned out pretty heavy...but it had such good flavor. I cut into it while it was still hot and gave some to the kids...oh, they thought they were in heaven!! So, other than the heaviness to the bread and the fact that it took forever to bake, it turned out really good!! I will be interested to see how it tastes tomorrow...maybe I will make the kids sandwiches with it for their lunches.

So that was my baking tryst today. Kent is in Ohio until tomorrow. Last night was the first night that we have spent apart since we moved into this house. I hate it when he is gone...I have the hardest time sleeping. :( And, my coffee just wasn't the same without him here. Oh my...he is just the neatest person that I know...SIGH!!

Tomorrow is Michaels 14th birthday. I am constantly amazed at how fast these kids grow up. He is really coming to be such a fabulous young man. Very witty...he makes us girls laugh...constantly. So, tomorrow...I will be in the kitchen yet again. I am making him pineapple upside cupcakes for him because he loves them so much. And, he wanted mashed potatoes (his favorite) so I will make them homemade and also make homemade meatloaf.

I went for my pre-ob appointment yesterday. I love this clinic that I am going to...they are so nice, and always answer my questions. I am going to have a mid-wife this pregnancy. I am excited about that, as I have always heard great things about mid-wives...but never thought that I would get the chance to be pregnant again. So I will see her for the first time next Monday. YAY!! I will be 11 weeks on Monday...that's only two weeks away from getting into the 2ND trimester!! This baby will be here before we know it!!

OK...off to relax before I go to bed.

No comments: