Wednesday, June 17, 2009

No Longer a HUGE fan....

I think my love of cats probably predates me. My mom loves cats...my grandparents loved cats...and probably their parents and grandparents loved cats. So..needless to say...my love of cats was probably inherited.

As of today though...I am no longer a huge fan of cats. Period. Done...Finito...

About 6 weeks ago, I was talking to my neighbor and she had mentioned that their cat had 2 kittens a couple of days before. AWWW!!!! I HAD to see them!! So I put Kivu in the backyard...and rushed over to get a look at these sweet babies. Unbeknownst to me...the cat that wanders through our backyard which I dubbed Oreo (as he is black and white) was sitting in their house with his wife and 2 babies. Oh!! I asked what his name was...and it's not the cute "Oreo" that I had named him...but Batman...OK...whatever. I had also seen the momma cat traipse through the yard...and while "Batman" was very friendly...even with the dog...The momma cat was not. She was always skitterish when she would wander through the backyard...and I had tried to befriend her more than once. She was very friendly in her house though...and she proudly showed those babies off.

Fast forward...6 weeks later. I am assuming that Batman and the momma cat will have another batch of kittens soon as that is all I have been hearing from the back yard. The low guttural yowl and then the high pitched "I'm gonna bite your head off if you don't get off of me yowl." And there is more than one male cat around here to boot. Our yard runs along a greenbelt (or whatever you would call it as it is unbuildable) and there is lots of wildlife in this area. An abundance of birds...chipmunks, squirrels...and I am sure many more critters that only come out at night. (Except for that one raccoon...but that's another story.) Anyway...that's all I have been hearing....and it really pisses me off when I am awakened at 11pm...1am...2am...you get the picture...horny little bastards!! (Sorry if I am offending anyone...lack of sleep...ya know!!)

Now we fast forward to about an hour ago...I am in the house...playing with Kivu and his toys...and "What's that I hear?" Do I hear a faint little "Mew?" So I look outside...and there in the garden is a little baby kitten. "AWWWW!!!!" So Ashlyn and I go outside and I immediately pick up this little waif of a kitty. He is so cute..."OUCH!!" Man...does he have claws!! "What are you doing kitty? Oh...you are climbing onto my shoulders...OK...." And then I see Kayte...and she is trying to keep Kivu in the gated area we have so that he doesn't come up to where I am...and "OUCH!!" The kitten has now spied the dog...(all Kivu wants to do is play...) and now the precious little F***ING kitten is on top of my head...claws out...hissing and scratching. And then...he hops down off of my head...and attacks Kivu's face...jumps off his face..and then back on...and all the 3 of us can do is yell...yell at the kitten...yell at Kivu..."NO Kivu...come back here...don't chase the kitten!!!" Me...screaming it at the top of my lungs...Ashlyn...(Not sure just what was coming out of her mouth...) and Kayte...all of us yelling. Kivu retreats back over to us...I look down at my finger at the blood coming out of the tiny puncture wounds...and I turn around to see Ashlyn almost in tears because she is laughing so hard.

Now you know why I am no longer a fan...(Until I see the next kitten...I suppose!!)

1 comment:

Karen Hartwell said...

I love cats but they can be insane. I have three myself and one feral cat in our carport that we feed. Good luck with the kittens and your neighbors cats. Sounds like it is time for them to be reponsible pet owner and get them fixed.